Friday, March 25, 2011

Farmer's Creed

Dad found this Farmers Creed when we were in Illinois cleaning out Grandma's farm house, getting it ready for cousins Dave and Mary to move in with their little girls, Gretchen and Sally (named after Grandma Snell). It was an emotional weekend but we all pulled together as a family. I was able to fit a few things in the suitcase that are special reminders of Grandma, including a blue apron (which Addison put on and said was so soft that she wanted to sleep in it :-) and a stiched table covering, sitting in front of me now as I type. It was neat that everyone has sentimental items and furniture that will help bring the Snell family and farm into each of our homes. It was also wonderful that everyone was so giving and there were no agruments over anything. Grandma would have loved this.

 
THE PRAIRIE FARMER’S CREED

I believe in red clover, I believe in cow peas, I believe in soy beans, and above all, I believe in alfalfa, the queen of forage plants.

I believe in a permanent agriculture, a soil that will grow richer rather than poorer from year to year.

I believe in 100-bushel corn and in 50-bushel wheat, and I shall not be satisfied with anything less.

I believe that the only good weed is a dead weed, and that a clean farm is as important as a clean conscience.

I believe in the farm boy and in the farm girl, the farmer's best crops, the future's best hope.

I believe in the farm woman and will do all in my power to make her life easier and happier.

I believe in the country school that prepares for country life and a country church that teaches its people to love deeply and live honorably.

I believe in community spirit, a pride in home and neighbors, and I will do my part to make my community the best in the State.

I believe in better roads. I will use the soil drag conscientiously whenever opportunity offers, and I will not “soldier” when working out my road tax.

I believe in happiness, I believe in the power of a smile, and I will use mine on every possible occasion.

I believe in the farmer, I believe in farm life, I believe in the inspiration of the open country.

I am proud to be a farmer, and I will try earnestly to be worthy of the name.


(From A Prairie Farmer Book on LaSalle County Illinois, 1916; no attribution, but identical in parts to a Farmer’s Creed by Frank I. Mann published ~ 1915 in a book entitled “Kentucky Arbor and Bird Day 1914-1915.” Frank I. Mann was the founder of the farm magazine “The Prairie Farmer.”)

1 comment:

  1. Love this declamation.

    For the linguists and etymologists out there, I'd appreciate an explanation of what the verb "soldier" implies!

    R

    ReplyDelete